Friday, July 20, 2012

The Power of Music

By V.S. Morgan

I LOVE music.  I listen to all types of music, although Rock, pop, and Latin music tends to be what I turn to most often. About four years ago, I saw authors posting playlists of songs that had inspired them as they wrote their books.  As a reader, I thought this was the coolest thing ever. I often found new-to-me music. Some of my favorite bands today came from exploring these lists. While I don’t listen to music while reading, I found myself thinking of the story long after I’ve finished it because I’d associated it with a song or songs I was listening to.

When I embraced my writing dream, it was very natural to integrate music into the process. I listen to music to inspire, to visualize (like a movie soundtrack), and to focus on specific feelings such as anger, loneliness, and love.

When I wrote fanfiction, I posted playlists.  It was great to see readers respond with positive comments about their own music experiences based on my posts. 

Today I’d like to share what inspired me as I wrote The Gift.  Four songs were on repeat the majority of the time.  “Far Away” by Nickelback was a great song to concentrate on the feelings of loneliness and longing after a separation and hope – important in my reunion story.

“For Your Entertainment” by Adam Lambert reminded me to add some playfulness to the BDSM play in the story.  Rafael is a true Dom, but he’s not afraid to add some lightness to his scenes.

To embrace the sensual nature of the work, I listened to “Undisclosed Desires” by Muse and “In the Darkness” by Dead by Sunrise (side band of Chester Bennington, one of the lead singers of Linkin Park). 

I chose a romantic piece with Spanish guitars fitting Rafael’s background for my book video.  However, if copyright wasn’t an issue, I would have used Adam Lambert’s new song “Chokehold.”


So do you like to associate music with stories, either as a reader or a writer? What are some of your favorite songs to do so?

Please comment with your email address in the body of the comment field to be eligible for a signed postcard and magnet swag pack!

4 comments:

  1. I've only heard of the first two songs. I must check out the others. Music generally inspires all of my stories in some way.

    All the best, V!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already have some of your gorgeous swag! Love when a song inspires. I've *heard* that if you keep your trailer on YouTube, you're allowed to use "real" songs because they have the copyright. Look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jess and Louisa! Thanks for the tip, Louisa! I'll have to look into that.

      Delete
  3. Music inspires me too. To run and then to adapt titles and themes into my stories. I don't know any of your songs!! I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete