Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Unconscious Honor

    Sometimes writing it's not a conscious decision, your brain just forces you to do it. On the highest level of awareness, the writer at times doesn’t know where the story is headed or why it’s set in a certain location or the specific reason a character has the background he or she does.
     Eventually the ‘whys’ are made clear and, at times, even those cerebral explanations are superficial.
   In my first Decadent Publishing story, ‘Respite,’ the idea of making Ryan Davison a Army sergeant wandering northern Africa after the end of World War II didn’t happen intentionally, I didn’t say to myself, ‘I’m going to sit down and write a post-WWII angst-filled travel story.’ No, it began as something completely different and that chunk of grey matter in one corner of my skull filled in the ‘wheres and whys’ for me. Thankfully, that section of brain usually knows what’s best for the story, and the only decision I made was not to ignore its insistent direction.
    In the same vein, a photo sparked the background for Navy SEAL Nicholas Klaussen in my military holiday 1NightStand ‘Wise Men Say.’ After I had decided to honor my hometown with a sledding scene in the opening chapters, a photo of actor Jim Caviezel clad in a Navy cammo shirt saluting, filled in the remainder of Nick’s covert journeys and his trek home. (Thanks to that glob of grey matter mentioned above.)
   So is it any ‘coincidence’ that this blog about how two vets came to be and honoring all veterans through erotic romance should fall on Veterans’ Day? 
Thanks, Dad!
  Again, whether it’s my writer’s conscious knowing better than the remainder of my aware intellect, the stars being aligned properly in the ether, or just common dumb luck, I’m glad in some tiny way I could honor and give even the slightest of inadvertent thanks to those who put themselves in harm’s way to protect my ability to pen little stories.
   Thank you Veterans, all of you. No greater love have you than to lay down your lives for millions of your friends and neighbors.
  





When not playing with the people in her head, Wendy has a full time job behind the scenes in television, a part time job in radio and an even 'parter' time job trying to keep her house clean. She lives with her cute chef husband and three fuzzy felines in the Great Lakes region of the Midwest. Find her books at Decadent Publishing, Amazon and other reputable e-book retailers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment