Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Hockey in Science Fiction Romance?

 by Jessica E. Subject

Sudden Breakaway, my fifth 1Night Stand story, combines three of my favorite things: science fiction, romance, and hockey. Now, one doesn’t usually see hockey and science fiction together, but I decided to include them in the same story just because I wanted to. LOL
The science fiction aspect comes from one of the characters. Paige Brown is a recruiter for the Space Service, which is mentioned in most of my prior 1Night Stand stories, but she wants out. She doesn’t want the secret life anymore and wants to be a part of something real. At one time, she thought she had it all, a husband who loved her and an excellent career that they both shared. But her husband couldn’t return after a trip to the Space Service space station, leaving her alone. Ever since the divorce papers arrived on her tablet, she’s regretted joining the Space Service. And that’s the only little bit of science fiction that is involved in this story.
The rest is contemporary erotic romance. The date takes place right here on Earth, at a hockey game of all places. Both Paige, and Jared Barnes are hockey fans, though they don’t cheer for the same teams. I didn’t want them charged for indecent exposure, so I set the date in a private suite during a game where they could do whatever they wanted. And, well, they do, including a little bit of bondage. Enough to steam up the glass separating them from the game.

Here’s an excerpt:
She lifted Dylan and balanced him on her hip. “From the look of things, I think I can help you.” Slipping off her shoes, she lined them on the mat beside the rest of the footwear and continued into the house. “I’m giving you the day off.” 
What? He’d dreamed about time to himself since the day after his niece and nephew had arrived, but had accepted that would never happen. Not until the preschoolers were old enough to stay on their own, anyway. 
He hopped to his feet, shut the door, and followed them into the living room. Madison had materialized out of nowhere, to join her brother, the pair of them sitting on either side of Mrs. Collins, their lopsided halos balancing atop their horns. Why couldn’t they sit as still when no one else was around? 
Slumping onto a chair, he leaned back and sighed. “How do you do it? How do you make them turn off?” 
She chuckled. “I’m a guest. Trust me when I say kids always behave better around people they don’t see every day. Back to why I’m here. My daughter says every time she sees you grocery shopping, you look ready to explode.” 
He didn’t remember seeing the commander’s teenage daughter, but any out-of-the-house excursions with the kids resulted in him trying to get back home as soon as possible. He tried to avoid running into anyone he knew. “I’m still getting used to having Madison and Dylan here. It’s been quite a change.”

The woman wrapped an arm around each child and snuggled them closer to her. “I always found I was a better mother when I had time away from my kids. I came back to them with a new focus and less stressed. But I had family around to take them here and there. Since you don’t, I’m here to give you a break.” 
As much as he needed the respite, he worried about leaving his niece and nephew with someone else. What would they do to poor Mrs. Collins? “I don’t know….” 
“I raised three kids with Ernie in the Marine Corps. Two are away at college, and my baby is a senior in high school. I’ll be fine.” 
He stared at the children, resentful of their sudden change in behavior. He needed to get away for a couple of hours. “Okay, you’re right. I’ll go get groceries and return right after.” 
She shook her head. “Not today. You’re taking the rest of the day off. You need it.” 
“No, I—” 
“Think of me as part of your team, Jared. That means you have to show some trust. I’ll be by every Saturday to give you some time to yourself. Today, though, I’ve planned something extra special for you.” 
Oh God, what had she done? 
The woman rose from the couch and handed him an envelope. “Ernie said you liked hockey, so we bought you a ticket to go see the hometown play this afternoon.” 
All right! He hadn’t been to a match in…forever. But a ticket? “I’m going by myself?” 
Her gaze shifted to the left before she returned eye contact. 
Deception. 
“No, your ticket will take you to a suite, and you’ll have a space in the underground parking garage. Others will meet you there.” 
His heart raced in anticipation. Would he enjoy the game with his former squad? It had been so long since he’d seen any of them. “Okay, I’ll go.” 
Mrs. Collins grinned. “Great. Go get ready. And be sure to dress nice.” 
Nice? For the guys? Yeah, right. It was hockey.

Sudden Breakaway
a 1Night Stand story
By Jessica E. Subject
Erotic Sci-Fi/Military Romance
ISBN: 978-1613333730
Dressed in her black designer suit, Paige Brown recruits men and women for the Space Service. After the end of her marriage, and several failed recruiting missions, she yearns to find a way out of her lifelong contract to live a normal life. To find love again.
Jared Barnes’s life had been flipped upside down by two little kids. When his former Commander’s wife shows up to give him a reprieve, he jumps at the chance for a break, and to visit his former squad. But it is not his buddies he meets in the private suite at a hockey game, instead a woman who has been the star of all of his recent fantasies, fulfills his wildest dreams except the one that binds his heart.
Has Madame Eve made a mistake or can two lonely hearts overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles?


Bio:
Jessica Subject is the author of contemporary and science fiction romance, ranging from sweet to erotic. In her stories, you could meet clones, or a sexy alien or two. You may even be transported to another planet for a romantic rendezvous. 
When Jessica isn't reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to get out and walk. Fast. But she just may slow down if there is a waterfall nearby.
Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. You can find her at jessicasubject.com and on twitter @jsubject.



No comments:

Post a Comment