Friday, December 2, 2011

My Big Fat Family Christmas

By Rebecca Royce

As you read this, it is likely that I am sitting in a house in Texas surrounded by family, eating really good food. Sound like heaven? Let’s try again. 

I don’t live in Texas.  I live in New Jersey. So, to get to Texas, I boarded a plane with my husband and our three boys (ages 2, 4, and 6).  The 4 year old and the 6 year old are excellent flyers. The 2 year old? Um…..Not so much. 

After a four hour plane ride,  I arrived in Texas where we rented a car. The children fought with each other the whole way through the airport.  Finally, hours later we arrived at the rental house to find that they didn’t have sheets on the bed.

I’m imagining all of this because as I write this, I am sitting in my home in New Jersey, four weeks away from our trip. Maybe it all went smoothly. Maybe our 2 year old slept the whole way to Texas. 

But, I am not a glass half-full kind of a girl.  I tend to assume all will be hard and exhausting.  In this way, I am like my heroine, Bethany, in I’ll Be Mated For Christmas.

She does not look forward to the holidays. She assumes they will be hard and rough, as they were when she was one of the only humans in a pack of werewolves. In fact, it has taken her many years to get over her childhood, to recreate a life for herself elsewhere.  Her one night stand is a reward for getting to where she needed to be emotionally.

But Luke, the new Alpha of the pack she grew up in has other plans. She is his mate.  She can’t turn her back on werewolves. Not when she’s meant to be his. 

What do you think? Like Bethy will I be surprised this Christmas? Or should I prepare myself for a trip into the abyss and back again?

5 comments:

  1. Your Christmas sounds exhausting. I'm a glass half empty kinda girl too! I totally want to read this one Rebecca! Congrats on the release!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With kids, the holidays usually are exhausting, but I hope they surprise you. Happy release day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a glass half full kinda person either (that is why I married one) I figure there has to be balance right? Holidays are exhausting but every year I look back and there are so many memories made I wonder why we let our friends and family connections loosen throughout the year. I guess if we were like that all the time it would be insanity. Thanks for the great post.
    musicalfrog at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Texas and the only time I was in New Jersey my purse was stolen. LOL I did take my three kids to Disney World this summer similar ages to yours and a chep husband who refused to check more than one bag (I kid you not)It was not the magical time I'd always dreamed of.

    Hope your travel went better than you expected. Your story sound great it's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travelling with children is never easy! Now mine are older, I wish they were younger!! Enjoy every moan and whine - er but maybe not the throwing up!

    ReplyDelete