Thursday, March 22, 2012

Traveling is Very Romantic


By Becky Moore

I’m convinced that I developed my wanderlust as a result of growing up without a lot of money. Once a year, during the summer, my mom took us to the beach for half a week, and we lived off of that fun all year. But it’s not as sad as it seems, because despite the fact we were homebodies, we had marvelous imaginations.

Plus, we had the free library. And the movies.

It was middle school before I realized how much I looked forward to a Sunday matinee or an adventurous book. I lived through Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone, and discovered that Columbia was a hotbed of excitement. Not only was Jack T. Colton living like an unkempt, wild ex-pat in the jungles of the Medellin Cartel, but Arnold Schwarzenegger was just around the corner in Commando!Those big, burly, wayfaring men on standby to whisk you out of harm’s way?Sigh

Ditto the stories I love to read. Though my five romances so far have all been contemporaries, I’ve also got some sexy romantic adventures up my sleeve. Are there any kindred spirits out there?

Daring tales of adventure always fueled my interest in seeing the world, and still color my decisions on how my family vacations. Taking the road seems so romantic and glamorous. I decided to set my 1Night Stand in the mountains, so that Tallulah and Mitch would have a little adventure, an abundance of fresh air, and a lot of romance. My favorite combination.

If you could choose your own adventure, where would it be? Here are some of mine:

Movies
2.   Romancing the Stone: Columbia.
3.   Six Days, Seven Nights: Macao.
4.   The African Queen: Burundi and Tanzania
5.   The Man from Snowy River: Australia.

Books
1.   All the Queen’s Men by Linda Howard: France
2.   The Prize by Julie Garwood: London
3.   Impulse by Catherine Coulter: a private Caribbean island
4.   Crazy Hot by Tara Janzen: Denver, Colorado
5.   Cajun Hot by Nikita Black: Louisiana Cajun country

2 comments:

  1. Adventure books are fabulous! They really wisk the reader away. I've seen the first two movies, but must see the others and read those books. :)

    Congrats on your new release, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, y'all! I had a great time working on my 1NS ... what a fun concept Decadent Publishing has with Madame Evangeline!

    ReplyDelete