Tuesday, April 21, 2015

This is how to “Romance the Capital”…

By Kayleigh Malcolm

What happens when you put a huge group of introverted authors, who are pretending to be extroverted, into a hotel for 48 hours?   Pure Magic
Armed with a car load of swag, books, and knitting, my husband and I headed up to Ottawa last Thursday. What happened over the next two days was the best conference I’ve ever been to.


Very few times in my life have I been somewhere that vibrated as acutely with positive energy. Everyone was smiling and laughing. It doesn’t matter if you’re an author or a reader, everyone has their favourite authors and the opportunity to “fangirl” all over them is overwhelming.
I was able to meet so many people that I’ve traded messages and emails with and this was our first chance to talk face to face. I’ve known Deb Cooke online for years but never had a chance to meet her. And when I did she gave me and Anne Lange a tiara to wear! LOL I was helping her with her event. Bouncing around in a tiara handing out truffles is the best way to start a Saturday J

 
I spoke on my very first conference panel with Elizabeth Lister and Nathan Burgoine about LGBT romances.  That was fun for us all, and I think I giggled my way through most of it. We kept it casual and more like an intimate chat amongst friends. The questions never stopped and all three of us had similar points of view but we all come at this genre from different perspectives. It inspired me to push my writing boundaries as well and I really hope we can do it again next year.


And then came Saturday afternoon, which started with “Speed Date an Author”.  Ever want to meet and learn about 25 authors in 50 minutes? This is how you do it. It was loud and crazy but so much fun! After a short break where my best friends shoved hummus and pitas into me, we headed into the Book Signing.  I wish I could remember everyone I spoke to but honestly at this point it all becomes a blur in my memory. 


My one regret is I didn’t get a picture with Kate Richards and Valerie Mann. I was really bummed about that. But, there is always next year right?!
My kitting wasn’t touched and my laptop stayed closed.  Although, my phone was glued to my hand so I could tweet and Instagram all weekend. We spent the 5 hour drive home talking about plans for next year and the possibility of going to the Philly Author Fest in November J RTC 2016 is already looking like it’s going to be bigger and better than this year and I can’t wait!
Today I’m back to normal. Stretchy pants and a sweater with my lap top. My inspiration well is filled to overflowing and I keep bouncing between manuscripts! Thanks to my wonderful husband I have tons of pictures from the weekend. If you check out my facebook page I have almost all of them up now. For now I have to get to work and start putting the voices down on page before they get any louder and decide to start waking me up in the night. LOL 
If you didn’t know already, Decadent came out with a sub-series in their 1 Night Stand imprint, called Romancing the Capital. My contribution is Claiming His Cub and all the stories are set during last weekend!!

Kayleigh Malcom is a firm believer that all love is beautiful and everyone deserves a Happily Ever After....well except for those involved with cancelling Firefly. She's still holding a grudge over that one. 
Sticking with one genre is a talent she hasn't achieved yet and can be found creating worlds as normal as our own or as fantastic as her dreams. Her characters have to face real life challenges, as many of us do, but love always finds a way to conquer all. 
A social media junkie, she can be found haunting many different sites and loves to hear from her readers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment