Thursday, July 2, 2015

Procrastination Station


This is where I have been the last two weeks…fully parked and camping out at procrastination station. I have been doing anything and everything to avoid writing.
I cleaned my house. *gasp* Too bad it didn’t last long.
I learned how to properly trim the herbs in my garden. I have been growing them for years, but always jus yacked off leaves as I needed then was sad when they went to seed. For once I decided to google proper trimming techniques and now they look fabulous. I should have lots of herbs all season. Heck, I even made herbed butter. You know? Chopping up herb varieties and folding it into softened butter and then rolling it in wax paper and chilling in fridge?
Yeah, I know. Procrastination station.
I mean, I even infused vinegar with tarragon. I’ll probably use it. Lol
So why am I procrastinating so much? Baking bread and playing on Pinterest?
Well, at first it was because I was stuck on a sequel that I’m working on. I won’t say writer’s block, per se. But I will say it was going in a direction that just didn’t feel right. So I gave myself permission to leave it alone for a few days. After all, I had just submitted a novella for a new 1Night Stand called FINDING HIS FANTASY which featured Josef, the sexy Haitian bartender from my book ACCIDENTALLY BEAUTIFUL, and Paul the art gallery owner from my writer pal Wendy Burke’s holiday romance WISE MEN SAY. I had a book on a publisher’s desk. I always feel pressure when I don’t have at least one story in the pipeline. I should have felt success and not so guilty about doing no writing or writing related activities, aka blogging etc.
But I felt totally guilty about it even as I started a new compost heap out back. (See, now that is MAJOR procrastination lol) But then a friend said, “Didn’t you used to take a little break in between books? It seems like the last few years, you’ve finished one project and immediately started the next.”
Hmmmm, I thought. Is that true?
It was!
I have been writing continuously with no “me time.” I was so focused on what ny next project should be, and the one after that, I’d decided “me time” was just an excuse to procrastinate and not write. But hey, I like playing in my garden. I like making herb infused vinegars. And for the few hours it lasted, I liked having a clean kitchen.
It felt great actually!
I guess the point of this blog is that taking a little trip to Procrastination Station isn’t such a bad thing. I took a little down time, left some of the self-inflicted pressure behind, and just did some stuff that I enjoy. I took my friends kids to the zoo, I went on some bike rides. I even went and saw Magic Mike XXL last night with my two besties! LOL, THAT was fun!
And you know what?
That little plot hole I was struggling with, I think I filled it. I might even start working on it as soon as I sigh off here. Which means, that maybe my stay in the station is coming to an end. I believe some of Santa’s elves up in THE NAUGHTY NORTH POLE are whispering book six to me as we speak…..

What about you guys? Do you ever take a break from writing, but then you feel guilty about it?
I would love to hear from you!

~D

Deanna Wadsworth might be a bestselling erotica author, but she leads a pretty vanilla life in Ohio with her wonderful husband and a couple adorable cocker spaniels. She has been spinning tales and penning stories since childhood, and her first erotic novella was published in 2010. When she isn’t writing books or brainstorming with friends, you can find her making people gorgeous in a beauty salon. She loves music and dancing, and can often be seen hanging out on the sandbar in the muddy Maumee River or chilling with her hubby and a cocktail in their basement bar. In between all that fun, Deanna cherishes the quiet times when she can let her wildly active imagination have the full run of her mind. Her fascination with people and the interworkings of their relationships have always inspired her to write romance with spice and love without boundaries.


You can also find her young adult alter ego, K.D. Worth FacebookTwitter

You can also find her young adult alter ego, K.D. Worth FacebookTwitter


No comments:

Post a Comment