Thursday, September 12, 2013

Revisiting Characters

Satin Sheets in Space available HERE

By Jessica E. Subject
One of the hardest parts of being an author is saying goodbye to our characters once we finish their stories. It’s like saying goodbye to a good friend. Sure, we get to visit them again during edits and promotion of our new release, but it’s not the same. We can write series, and bring the characters back book after book, though a series can only go on for so long before their stories become too repetitive.

So, how does an author revisit those characters? For me, I include them as minor characters in a new story. With most of my 1Night Stand stories, I have done this, including in the one I’m writing now.

With Josh and Tamara from Beneath the Starry Sky, I included them in Celestial Seduction and Satin Sheets in Space. Carrie and Frey from Celestial Seduction make an appearance in Unknown Futures and are also mentioned in Satin Sheets in Space. In my latest 1Night Stand release, Another Night, Another Planet, Ava and Nate got to the planet Elatia for their date, and meet Kalara and Jacobus from An Unexpected Return.

I enjoy visiting with the characters again. I know they will
not get another complete story, but me and my readers get to see what they’ve been up to since we last read their story.

In the 1Night Stand story I’m working on now, His Alien Virgin, readers will meet the sister of Galan and Volan from Satin Sheets in Space. Didn’t know they had a sister? Well, that is explained in the story :)

If you haven’t met the sexy aliens from Satin Sheets in Space, Galan and Volan yet, here’s an excerpt from when Danyka meets Galan for the first time:

   That’s it, I’m leaving. She didn’t need to stick around and be reminded of another night she’d been stood up by a blind date and passed over by every other available male. 
   After slipping her shoes on and grabbing her clutch, she headed for the door
   “Leaving so soon?” 
   She shivered at the sound of the deep, sexy voice. Spinning around, she gazed up at an enormous, captivating man. Very rarely did she meet a guy so much taller than herself. His black velvet justacorps fit tight across his broad shoulders, but not too snug. And the silk shirt lining his wide chest matched the color of her dress. Almost as if they were made for each other. I can only hope. 
   Flowing down his back, his long, thick, dark mane appeared to have feathers throughout. In the dim lighting, his hair, and even his skin had a faint blue glow. She couldn’t help but be enthralled by his presence; was sure she stood in front of him with her mouth hanging open.
   “I…I’m going home.” 
   “When the night is still so young?” He brushed his hand down her bare arm. “What could be more fun at home? Perhaps you might even enjoy some company?” 
   How she’d love to spend the night in this man’s company, the toys in her nightstand long forgotten. But this had to be some kind of joke. She looked around for cameras, anxious faces. No one as hot as this man could want to spend a night with her. “It’s been a long day. I was stood up by my date, and my friends no longer need me to stick around.”
   Great! She’d just told the guy she was alone. Might as well have put a target on my back.
   He rested his hand on her hip, sending intense sexual energy zinging straight to her core. “You mean you wouldn’t want to enjoy an evening in my company? Because I’m your date.”

Satin Sheets in Space
A 1Night Stand story
By Jessica E. Subject
Erotic Sci-Fi MFM Ménage Romance
ISBN: 978-1613332962
Danyka's unusual height and radiant red hair earn her the cold shoulder from any guy she approaches, unless he wants to experiment with a giant. So when her boss sets up on a one night stand, she hopes for a prince but expects the usual toad.

As a captivating stranger whisks her away from the ball and introduces her to his equally gorgeous brother, she fears her fantasies have become a nightmare. Has she finally given into impulse only to become a lab rat in an unknown world? 

Available From:

Bio:
  Jessica Subject is the author of contemporary and science fiction romance, ranging from sweet to erotica. In her stories, you could meet clones, or a sexy alien or two. You may even be transported to another planet for a romantic rendezvous. 
  When Jessica isn't reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to get out and walk. Fast. But she just may slow down if there is a waterfall nearby.
  Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. You can find her at jessicasubject.com and on twitter @jsubject.



6 comments:

  1. I also hate saying goodbye to them. Most of the time. Some of them (not any in any of my 1Night Stands!) I get sick of hearing from and I don't want to see them again. (These are usually unpubbede mss hanging around in various stages of disrepair.) My 1NS peeps can pretty much be relied upon to pop their heads in again, even when it's not their story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mine are the same way. It's a great way to write about them without giving them another story. :)

      Delete
  2. I think the readers miss our characters, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to agree, Teri. I've had readers ask for more. That's why I added Carrie and Frey to Unknown Futures. :)

      Delete
  3. It's a difficult one - because if you've given your characters a HEA - all you can do is give them a little role - a happy one - in a new story. I just can't stand the idea of breaking mine apart when I've spent a whole novel bringing them together!! But to let them have a little scene - yep, that's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Barbara! Breaking them apart again would be so difficult for any author.

      Delete