Monday, April 28, 2014

Setting the Mood

By Landra Graf

Whenever I write a story I find the easiest way to connect to my characters is to located songs that fit their moods, emotions, or certain interactions with others. It’s more than music itself that inspires a scene, it’s lyrics and the voice singing the song. No matter what story I’m writing brainstorming and developing the story plays out best when I’m listening to music I’ve associated with that story.

I’ll fill my day job with listening to the playlist of whatever I’m working for so that the creative side of my brain is still working out any plot bunny issues or character backstory. Then I jot down all the ideas in my handy, dandy notebook. You caught that Blue’s Clues reference right?

For Victoria and Royce in my 1NS release, What You Need, my music revolved around some hard core rock. From Nine Inch Nails, Paramore, Korn, I found inspiration through a multitude of rock songs that helped fuel all the desire, the pain, lust, and attraction between my femdom Victoria and her sub Royce.

My question for you is: Do you listen to music while you write? While you brainstorm? What kinds of music fuel the story? Are they tailored like mine or do you just listen to what you enjoy everyday?

Victoria and Royce Playlist

Sleeping Beauty – A Perfect Circle
Undone- Weezer
I Think I’m Paranoid – Garbage
3 Libras- A Perfect Circle
The Only Exception- Paramore
Amber- 311
That’s What You Get- Paramore
Crushcrushcrush- Paramore
Misery Business (Acoustic)- Paramore
Too Close- Alex Clare
Linger- Cranberries
4am- Our Lady Of Peace
Monster- Paramore
Jaded- Aerosmith
Sour Girl- Stone Temple Pilots
Like A Stone- Audioslave
Always- Saliva
Breath- Breaking Benjamin
Cold- Crossfade
Closer- Nine Inch Nails
Way Too Far- Korn
Blow Me Away- Breaking Benjamin
Judith- A Perfect Circle
Immigrant Song- Trent Reznor

Blue Monday- Orgy

#LandraGraf, #1NS, #1nightstand, #decadentpub

1 comment:

  1. Many of those are on my list. I've actually created playlists for each book. Sometimes I can open a page of any book and say what I was listening to at the time I wrote it. Funny story...when I wrote a really rough scene in a book, I listened to Closer by NIN 5 times! But then again, I listen to NIN alot anyways. LOL

    ReplyDelete