Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Favorite Reading Spot


One of my favorite memories of my mom is how important summer reading was to her. As soon as school finished, we would go to our local bookstore and stock up. Mom encouraged me to make a special reading spot I could go to escape into other worlds and adventures. She said it should be quiet where I couldn’t be bothered…ah…interrupted by anything or anyone. Her favorite spot was in a rocking chair under a tree in front of our cottage at the lake. She always had a TBR pile that would make any author proud.  To this day, Mom still reads A LOT and I have my favorite reading spot.
Well… when I’m not writing it is also my reading spot. When we built our log home in the woods, I designed our 8’x60’ porch to be an extension of our living space. We spend time on the porch in all weather watching birds, doing crafts, puzzles, games, eating socializing and of course reading (and writing).

Tables, chairs and décor came from scouring rummage sales. Hubby made the newest table from old deck wood. A few cushions and pillow add to comfort. My reading spot is not far from the grill master of the house. Sometimes the kids join me otherwise they keep their rambunctious activities in the yard.
I often see neighbors sitting on their porches or under a tree reading. Friends post photos on line of reading poolside while their kids are busy.

Do you have a favorite spot to escape to?  Where is your reading spot?
                                     
Books by Mary Quast:

Eagle Dance – coming soon

Romance author and Artist Mary Quast lives in a log home affectionately named "Camp Run-A-Muk" located in the woods of Michigan with her husband, three sons, and a collection of animal family members.

Website: http://maryquast.com
Blog: http://maryquast.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @MaryQuast


#maryquast, #decadentpub, #1NS, #onenightstand, #1nightstand, #MadameEve

No comments:

Post a Comment